Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Wire

Television can both entertain and inform your world. Here is a wonderful discussion of one of my favourite shows (along with the Sopranos) and one of the few programs other than sports (go Raptors!) that I watch faithfully.

Clearly, I don't know much about being black, nor the choices facing inner-city black youth. Neither am I now nor have I ever been a member of the Mob. That doesn't mean I have to remain ignorant nor blind to their existence. Shows such as the Wire and the Sopranos offer outsiders a window on a world different from theirs. Similarly, film, novels and blogs offer people insights into cultures and societies different from theirs. The more we attempt to understand, the more we are able to realize that what differentiates us, does not have to divide us.